This is a very common question that many are reluctant to ask—perhaps because they feel hearing loss should be obvious when it occurs. The truth, however, is that most hearing loss occurs very gradually. Here are a few warning signs to keep in mind:
- Difficulty hearing people speaking from a distance
- Trouble understanding people amid background noise.
- Feeling that people tend to mumble quite a bit
- Regularly being asked to lower the volume of your TV or radio
- Often asking people to repeat what they’ve just said
- Not noticing common household sounds (e.g., alarm clock, oven timer).